Cacao, Date and Almond Balls
Let me start by stating that I’m not a very good cook but a pretty good baker! I don’t have a great relationship with the timing of and cooking meals. So unless I find a meal that I manage not to under/over cook, you won’t find any gourmet recipes with random ingredients that you can’t find in a supermarket to then only use once on this blog.
Now that’s clear, I am mixing it up a bit this week (literally) and posting an awesome, easy recipe. These balls are a quick and healthy recipe that make great snacks and keep in the fridge for a few weeks (bet they won’t last that long!) My boys, 2 and 3 love them and are a nice substitute to all the sugary, unhealthy snacks that line the supermarket aisles these days. These cacao, date and almond balls are so easy that even I can’t stuff them up! If you like this recipe, please share via the social media buttons below the post.
1 cup dates
1 cup almonds
2 tbsp cacao
1. Whack in a food processor and turn on…. Done! He he
2. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the food processor (remember to turn it off first) you can roll the mixture into balls and store in the fridge.
1. If you find the mixture a little dry, they roll and form a ball much easier if you add a little water during the mixing process.
2. If you find the mixture a little runny after adding too much water, just add a little bit more cacao.
3. Want to get more benefit from these balls?Activate your almonds first. Google this if you haven’t heard about activating before as explaining this process is another blog post on its own!
4. You could always substitute almonds for other nuts like cashews, pecans etc.
5. Add a few drops of peppermint oil so they taste like choc peppermint balls, yum!
6. If you have nut allergies or intolerances in your family as we do, substituting almonds with seeds can work. Will be posting some other great nut free recipes soon!